Effective Date: May 22, 2018
This privacy notice applies to any Sunoco Website that displays or links to this privacy notice and to all visitors, users, and others who access the Website from the United States (“users”). This privacy notice does not apply to websites, portals, mobile apps, or other online applications that have their own privacy notice or otherwise do not display or link to this policy.
WHEN YOU ACCESS THIS WEBSITE YOUR DATA WILL BE PROCESSED AND STORED IN THE UNITED STATES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS TRANSFER, PLEASE STOP ALL USE OF THIS WEBSITE.
Information We Collect
We collect and combine information about you and the devices you use to access our online services for the purposes described in this the privacy statement. This includes information you provide to us, information collected through your use of our online services and information obtained from our partners and other reliable sources.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us, such as when you create or modify your account; sign up for our newsletter or request information from us; contact customer support; respond to a survey; or otherwise communicate with us. This information may include your name, e-mail address, phone number, postal address, payment information, survey responses, and other information you choose to provide to us.
Information We Collect through Your Use of our Online Services
Important Information about Mobile Platform Permissions
When you use our mobile app, we may request access to certain types of data stored on your device that apps cannot access without your consent (e.g., geolocation data). The permission system for obtaining your consent depends on the mobile platform (iOS, Android, etc.) you are using. If you give us permission to access this platform data, we will collect it from your device and use it for the purposes described in this privacy statement.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also receive information from other sources and combine it with information we collect through from you. For example, we may obtain information about you from commercially available sources such as data aggregators and public databases. This information may include your name, demographic information, interests and publicly-observed data (such as from social media and shopping behavior).
You may also give us permission to access certain personal information maintained by other service providers. For example, you may link your Facebook or Gmail account to Sunoco, which allows us to obtain information from those accounts (such as your friends or contacts). The information we obtain from these services often depends on your settings or the applicable provider’s privacy policies, so please check these policies before granting us access. If you give us permission to access this information, we will use it for the purposes described in this privacy notice.
Use of Information
We may use the information described above as necessary or useful to provide, support, personalize, and develop our Website, products, and services, including as follows:
- We use the personal information you provide through the Website for the purposes for which such information was provided.
- To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us.
- To process your requests, purchases, transactions, and payments and prevent transactional fraud.
- To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To personalize your Website experience and to deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our Website, third-party sites, and via email or text message (with your consent, where required by law).
- To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Website, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- For testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Website, products, and services.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
Aggregated and Non-Identified Data
Sunoco may maintain aggregate data or other non-identified information about you, such as usage statistics, online traffic patterns and user feedback. In addition to using this information for the purposes discussed in this privacy statement, we may disclose this information to third parties without restriction.
Types of Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Pixel Tags. Pixel tags (also known as web beacons) are small blocks of code installed on our Website which enable our online partners to serve cookies when you visit our Website and are generally used in combination with cookies to track activity user on our Website, receive relevant log data and cookie data, and perform other activities relating to the monitoring and analysis of the use and performance of the Website and our ads.
- Software Development Kits. Software development kits (also called SDKs) function like third-party cookies and pixel tags, but operate in the mobile app environment where cookies and pixel tags cannot function as effectively. Instead of using cookies and pixels tags, we may install pieces of code (the SDK) provided by our online partners (such as advertising companies, ad networks, and analytics providers) in our mobile apps in order for these online partners to monitor and analyze the use and performance of our Website and ads.
- Statistical Identifiers. Statistical identifiers refers to identifiers created using certain device information and log data. Collectively, this information makes your browser or device sufficiently distinct for a server or similar system to reasonably determine that it is encountering the same browser or device over time. Statistical identifiers enable us and our partners to uniquely identify your browser or device for the same purposes as cookies. Statistical identifiers may be associated with your personal information (such as your email address).
For example, we may use third-party cookies to deliver our ads on third-party websites through a common form of online advertising known as “retargeting.” Retargeting works by serving ads on one website based on an individual’s activities on a different website (for example, if you view an product or service on our Website, you may later see ads for our products and services when you visit a third-party website). To do this, we allow our online partners (such as Google or other ad network vendors) to serve their own third-party cookies when users visit our Website, allowing these online partners to recognize users who have previously visited our Website. When these users visit a third-party website that includes features provided by our online partners (for example, where our online partners have purchased ad space), our online partners can recognize the users’ interest in our products and services and deliver one of our ads on the third-party website.
Your Cookie Choices
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. However, in addition to the specific opt-out mechanisms described above, you can typically choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. To do so, please follow the instructions provided by your browser which are usually located within the “Help” or “Preferences” menu. Removing or rejecting browser cookies does not necessarily affect third-party Flash cookies (see “local storage” above) which may be used by us or our partners in connection with our online services. To delete or disable Flash cookies, please visit this site for more information.
If you would like to prohibit us and our approved partners from using cookies and other identification technologies on mobile applications, please visit your “settings” options on your mobile device to find the appropriate restrictions. For further information about cookies and similar technologies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, you can visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Do Not Track (DNT)
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to websites with which the browser communicates. Our online services do not currently respond to these “do-not-track” signals.
Sharing of Information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties who provide us with various business services, including monitoring and maintaining our Website and ads, processing payments, delivering products and services, performing Website analytics and ad delivery services, conducting marketing and advertising campaigns, and preparing newsletters and mailings. We may also share your personal information with other affiliates within our group of companies, in compliance with applicable laws.
If all or part of Sunoco merges with another entity, is acquired by another entity or experiences another change in control , the information we have about you may be transferred to a third party as part of that transaction. The acquiring entity will be required to use the personal information that is transferred only in a manner that is consistent with this privacy notice and applicable law.
Your Choices and Rights
We are committed to respecting your right to access and correct your information. You can contact us using the information provided in the Contact Us section and we will be happy to assist you with your request.
You may also “opt-out” of receiving marketing e-mails and other marketing communications from us by using the unsubscribe feature included in the e-mails we send.
Please refer to our Statement on Cookies and Similar Technologies for more information about your choices regarding cookies and similar technologies.
California Privacy Rights
For California Residents Only. California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes (if applicable), such as types of personal information we share and who we share it with. To make such a request, please write to us at the postal address above. Please be sure to include your name and address.
Sunoco implements, maintains, and enforces reasonable and appropriate administrative, organization, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of our Website, databases, personal information, and related assets. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal information.
Sunoco implements and maintains reasonable restrictions on the retention of personal information and generally disposes of such personal information once it is no longer necessary or useful for the purposes for which it was collected or further processed. However, we may continue to store archived copies of your personal information for legitimate business purposes and to comply with the law. In addition, we may continue to store anonymous or anonymized information for any legitimate business use described in this privacy notice.
Our Website is not intended for children. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under 13-years old. However, if the parent or the guardian of a child under 13 years old believes that the child has provided us with personal information, the parent or guardian of that child should contact us at the information provided above to request the information’s deletion. Anyone under 13 years old should seek their parent’s or guardian’s permission prior to using the Website or disclosing any personal information to Sunoco.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
Sunoco reserves the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When changes are made to this privacy notice, the updated notice will be posted on the Website and will be effective as of the date posted. YOUR CONTINUED USE OF OUR WEBSITE FOLLOWING THE POSTING OF CHANGES WILL CONSTITUTE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH CHANGES. Material revisions to this privacy notice will not be applied retroactively without your affirmative consent.